UPDATE: July 29, 2020. At Gaarde Christian School, we continue to look toward opening school in the fall for in-class instruction. In light of Governor Brown’s most recent press conference addressing the health guidelines for returning to school, our leadership team will release a more formal statement -including our blueprint for reopening -after a more in-depth review.
We highly value the health and welfare of our families and profoundly appreciate your continued prayer and support of Gaarde. Gaarde Christian is the Lord’s school! It is our firmly held conviction that our God will give us courage, boldness, and spirit of power during this season. Thus, we will endeavor to act in the best interest of our Gaarde families and, to the best of our ability, strive to fulfill the government’s guidelines.
The heart of our prayer, passion, and trust in Christ Jesus is in these powerful verses:
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
“God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” James 1:5
We Choose Courage!
FAQ's for GCS Families
1. "Does Journey Summer Camp still have availability?"
ANSWER: Yes, although we have several weeks close to capacity. We have modified several components of Journey Summer Camp, including removing the 3 day/week option, increased sanitation/cleaning protocols, limited days off of campus, and revamped daily schedules. Our JSC team has developed an amazing daily/weekly schedule with a solid educational component for bridging one school year to the next. There will be fun and creative, targeted teaching/projects for engaging students at their educational/age appropriate levels.
2. "Are you planning to start school on time in the fall?”
“We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.” Proverbs 16:9
A powerful biblical statement to ponder for a time such as this. The administrative team here at Gaarde, has been diligently researching, learning, planning, and praying about our plans for 2020-2021 school year. We are currently finalizing our Operational Blueprint, with plans to publish it in early July. Our goal is to provide the best environment to meet the needs of our students’ education without neglecting or ignoring their spiritual, emotional, social, and physical needs while planning for any
disruption in learning that may occur.
Our priority for sanitation is to:
- Provide an environment of increased sanitation, especially in areas of high touchpoints.
- We will encourage reasonable safety precautions, such as eliminating community supplies in the classroom.
- We will encourage increased handwashing with students and staff and plan to intentionally educate students what are proper handwashing techniques at the beginning of the school year.
- We will have portable sinks for the classrooms in the portables, and we are installing hand sanitizer stations at the main entrances and throughout the school.
Our student, teacher, and visitor safety priorities are:
- Students will work in stable groups or cohorts, limiting interactions outside of that group as much as possible. Teachers will be encouraged to use outdoor space when feasible.
- Visitors will be limited to only those deemed necessary. Visitors will need to sign in, wear a mask, and use hand sanitizer before moving past the front office.
- We will not be able to have volunteers on campus with the new guidelines.
The above items are a few of the areas we have on our Operational Blueprint to give you an idea of the
direction we are moving. We will be adding Teacher protocols for the classroom and student activities to the Operational Blueprint in the next few weeks. We ask for your prayers, grace, and understanding as we navigate these new protocols. Remember during this season things remain in a semi-fluid state as we move forward and navigate, while we also continue in this learning process. At this time, we plan to open and start school on September 9th with a five day a week in-class experience for All-Day Kindergarten thru 8th grade.